Monday, October 26, 2009

Leader-in-the-Field Interview

For the Leader-in-the-Field Interview i chose to interview Monty Hightower.  Though I do not have a major in mind yet, I know I would like to go to Law School. That is why I chose a Lawyer to Interview.  He is a lawyer at his own firm.  When I asked Mr. Hightower what type of lawyer he was he smiled and said, "Lets just say I am a general practice lawyer."  He has been a Lawyer for many years, he would not tell me how many years because he joked that "it would admit myage" if he told me.  He did tell that "you are not a skilled lawyer till about the fifth year of practicing law, so I am a very very very skilled lawyer.  After that you can usually chose your cases and clients you would like to represent and who you think it worth representing."

Mr. Hightower attended college right here at the University of Oklahoma where he majored in Finances. He had no idea he wanted to be Lawyer.  He said "Being a Lawyer never crossed my mind when decided my career." He went to work at an oil business right after he recieved his undergrad for a couple years.  That is where he decided he wanted to go to Law School.  At first he still did not know if he wanted to be a Lawyer or just have a law degree and go into different areas of Law.  He soon decided that he wanted to be a Lawyer.  Mr. Hightower went back to the University of Oklahoma for the second time and enter into their Law School. 

The hardest part for Mr. Hightower in Law School was the first year.  He said "After the first semester really, of Law School it gets easier.  The next 5 semesters seemed a lot easier for me because you got to choose what classes you liked and what figure out what type of Law you would like to practice."  The one thing that Law School taught him that was not in the books was "Law School was just a totally different world. It was a new way of teaching. They asked a lot of questions, which were no right or wrong answers to, you had to learn through those questions. We did so much talking to get us ready for the real world. Where we would be in the court rooms." "I figured out very quickly that not everything is black and white, especially not the Law." He always said that "It was different having teachers wanting your opinion about something." He told me that there is one test in Law School. You either pass or fail it.  All thru Law School Mr. Hightower worked as a clerk in a Law Firm. He said this helped him a lot because it made it familiar with different cases,being in a court room, and working with clients. He worked during all three years of Law School. "It is recommended that you don't work your second and third year of Law School, but I had to do what I had to do and I do not regret it." When I asked him if he ever had any doubts while in Law School, he said, "Well of course I did, I do not think your human if you don't have some doubts in life. I remember sitting down plenty of times with my former wife, and discussed if this really was a good idea, or if I should go back to work and save money, my answer was always no. I really did and still love the study of Law."

After Law School Mr. Hightower said "It was not that hard for me to find a job, I moved back to my hometown, it really was no biggie." His first job after Law School was at Stacks and Barnes. It was an Oil and Gas Law Firm. He said "In my opinion small towns are better for practicing Law, especially for someone who is just starting out, like I was." When talking about his first year of practicing Law he said "The first year, or maybe even the first couple of years, I took whatever cases I could. It was a good way to get my name out there." He said he is glad now that you is able to chose what cases he wants and what cases he does not want to take. "It gives me more time for my family now that I am at a point of where I can take what cases I want, Its a good reward for working so hard for so long." 

After my interview with Mr. Hightower, I still think I would like to enter into Law School after I get my undergrad.

No comments:

Post a Comment